Sunny, summer weather sets the perfect backdrop for any wedding. However, an outdoor ceremony risks a makeup meltdown during this time of year. Whether you’re the bride or a guest attending outdoor nuptials, consider these summer makeup tips and tricks before heading out in the heat.
1. Avoid moisturizer for one day. Trust me, you won’t need any additional slide on your skin. Instead, opt for an oil-free primer before applying makeup. I like Laura Mercier primer; it’s lightweight and creates a flawless canvas for foundation.
2. Take caution with bronzers. Nothing says summer like bronzed skin, but let the summer sun provide the sheen. In bright sunlight, skin will appear very shiny if you use a bronzer with too much shimmer. I also suggest staying away from liquid or cream bronzers, as they will not hold up in the heat; try a matte powder instead.
3. Waterproof your eyes. And that means more than just waterproof mascara! I suggest wearing an eye base (Benefit makes a great one!) under shadow for great staying power. Then use a gel eye liner (Bobbi Brown’s is smudge -proof) and waterproof mascara.
4. Consider the timing. Early-afternoon sun looms directly overhead, causing shadows to appear under eyes. If you’re already concerned with dark circles, you may want to skip bottom eye liner. I would also avoid too much contouring, as it may appear artificial in this unforgiving light.
5. Let your lips do the talking. It’s easier to touch-up lip color than a dramatic smoky eye. Try a bright pink, orange, or red statement lip while keeping eye makeup light, fresh, and classic.
6. Don’t leave home without a touch-up kit. Blotting papers or face powder are essential! Carry a few Q-tips to clean up under eyes (in case you shed a few tears!) and have your lip color ready to reapply after drinks and dinner.