Running towards street food sometimes may result in food poisoning. Food poisoning is one of the most common illnesses faced by many people. But it cannot be ignored for a longer time as it can sometimes be life threatening too.
Food poisoning is caused by bacteria, virus and other toxins in food. The symptoms of food poisoning may range from mild to severe such as abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, diarrhea and dehydration.
In severe cases, if it is untreated for a long period, then it may also lead to death. Therefore, finding home remedies to treat food poisoning is the best way to treat it in initial stage.
If you experience diarrhea and vomiting, it is better to increase your fluid intake with water and avoid solid intake.
If you find any symptoms of food poisoning, don’t run to doctor immediately; just run into the kitchen to find these wonderful ingredients and start the treatment which will help you to get rid of food poisoning.
Here are 9 best home remedies to treat food poisoning. Consult your doctor, if you experience severe diarrhea, vomiting, dizziness or symptoms of dehydration.
9 Home Remedies for Food Poisoning
Lemon is the best way to treat food poisoning. It contains anti inflammatory, anti bacterial and anti viral properties which will help you to get relief instantly. The acidic nature and citric acid in lemon will kill the bacteria which cause food poisoning.
- Take a glass of warm water and add two table spoons of lemon juice in it and drink it two to three times a day.
- Alternatively take a table spoon of lemon juice add a pinch of sugar in it and drink it two to three times a day.
Garlic is considered as a unique ingredient because of its aroma and flavor. It is very effective in fighting with food poisoning, due to its anti fungal, anti viral and anti bacterial properties.
It also relieves the symptoms of vomiting and pain in abdomen.
- Just eat a small piece of garlic clove with some amount of water. If you have ability to tolerate the smell of garlic, then drink garlic juice too.
- Alternatively, use the mixture of garlic oil and soybean oil and rub it on your stomach after having your meal.
Ginger is an excellent remedy to treat varying type of stomach disorder including food poisoning.
It can be taken in many ways.
- Drink ginger tea after your meal to get relief from the symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and it stops heart burn associated with food poisoning.
- To make ginger tea add small amount of ginger to a cup of boiling water, steam and strain the solution and add a table spoon of honey or little sugar to it, and drink it.
- Alternatively, you can add little amount of ginger to table spoon of honey and consume it several times in a day.
- You can also eat raw ginger to have constant relief from symptoms of food poisoning.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar will alleviate the various food poisoning symptoms in your body. It also soothes the inflammation along with gastrointestinal lining and gives you instant relief.
Take a cup of warm water and add two table spoons of apple cider vinegar in it and drink it before you have your meals.
It will definitely give you relief from discomfort of your tummy.
5. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds are every effective in treating inflammation in stomach, as well as it works on tenderness too. It reduces the symptoms of food poisoning and makes you feel better.
Boil one table spoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water then add a table spoon of coriander leaves and salt, and then drink it two times a day.
Alternatively you can make tea with cumin seeds and drink it thrice in a day.
You have another option, you can consume a table spoon of cumin seeds directly after having your every meal.
Honey is also an effective home remedy for treating indigestion or any other symptoms of food poisoning due to its anti fugal and anti bacterial properties.
It is also considered as natural remedy for treating many health and skin issues.
- Honey is very beneficial for upset stomach, you can consume 1 teaspoon of honey 3-4 times a day.
- It also reduces the formation of excess acid in stomach.
Bananas is the best fruit and it digest easily. Banana is rich in potassium minerals, which helps to reduce the feeling of diarrhea and vomiting.
It reduces the symptoms of food poisoning within minutes.
You can either eat bananas directly or make a banana shake and drink it.
Basil is wonderful herb to treat upset stomach and cure infection of the throat. As it is rich in anti microbial properties it helps in relieving the symptoms of food poisoning.
It can be taken in several ways:
- Extract juice from few basic leaves and add one table spoon of honey and drink it several times a day. You can also mix it with fresh coriander juice.
- Take a glass of drinking water and add four drops of basic oil and drink it several times a day to kill bacteria which causing stomach pain and other symptoms.
Alternatively, you can take a bowl and add some basil leaves,pinch of sea salt, black pepper and at last three table spoons of plain yogurt mix them well.
Eat this mixture for three to four times a day, until your symptoms are gone.
9. Yogurt and Fenugreek Seeds
The antimicrobial and antibacterial properties in yogurt will reduce the symptoms and fight with the bacteria causing food poisoning. Fenugreek seeds will help to reduce the abdominal discomfort.
The combination of fenugreek seeds and yogurt may give you immediate relief from stomach pain and vomiting sensation.
Take equal amount of fenugreek seeds and yogurt, mix them and have it.
Note: If you still feel the symptoms then do consult your doctor.